- A marble: floating in the middle of nothing
- Duplicity in the Duplex?
- Recognizing the Mother of Global Warming
- Why do we have time zones: time for change?
- Climate Change Elevator Pitch: Eric Rignot
- May the Fourth be with you
- Will the plastics industry be the next target of the merchants of doubt?
- Why Some Blogging Goals Are Bad
- How Wolves Change Rivers
- Lunar Lander
- ... wait, what? balance Biodiversity Business Capitalism Climate Communication Computers and Internet consciousness Core thought crowdsourcing Culture Drama Economics Education Energy Environment Fantasy GCD: Global climate disruption Health History Just for laughs Ludditis memetics News and politics People Phlyarology Poetry Science Strategy
- My Tweets
Tag Archives: stupid
… than to believe that what was once free would stay free, without a contract signed in blood. I’ve been away a while now, and what do I find when I drop by? Most of the imagery on my blog … Continue reading
The idea of gaining acceptance for a change of species name for humanity is all but impossible — and yet, at the same time, totally necessary. Continue reading
Further musings on the absurd antics of the dominant extant species on the only life-bearing planet known to said species. Continue reading
I think that the above is a pretty good indication that now is the perfect time to declare A Large Crisis. In fact, if you’ve got a moment, it’s a twelve-storey crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, twenty-four-hour … Continue reading
We’re currently using 1.5 Earths; the only Planet B (and C) we currently know of are 1,200 light-years away… I saw the image above in the Earth Overshoot Day Media Backgrounder at Global Footprint Network and it made me wonder … Continue reading
EXT. DENSE WOODLAND – DAWN Mist swirls amidst the trunks of the trees of an ancient forest. BURLY MAN arrives, clearly a lumberjack, armed with a large axe. He chops down a tree. FADE OUT FADE IN The sun rises. … Continue reading
24327 votes for: ‘Keep Dropbox simple. Just make sure it’s fast, robust, multiplatform and bug free. ‘ 59 votes for: ‘Go Green! Run your data centres with renewables!‘ Homo fatuus brutus doesn’t deserve to survive. Meanwhile, in other news… Leave … Continue reading
Neonicotinoids are pesticides. The last time I checked, bees were not pests. On the contrary, bees are essential to our survival, as they and other insects pollinate the crops upon which we rely for our food. And yet our economic … Continue reading
Originally posted on David Robertson:
This is one of those “you bunch of bastards” moments. Moments that the people on the right don’t want you to have. It’s not that I’m against people having lots of money, or even a…
(With thanks to Guy McPherson on TransitionVoice.) From “The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future” (Daedalus, Winter 2013) by Oreskes and Conway (who you may know from their seminal book Merchants of Doubt): By blocking anticipatory action, … Continue reading