- A marble: floating in the middle of nothing
- Duplicity in the Duplex?
- Recognizing the Mother of Global Warming
- Why do we have time zones: time for change?
- Climate Change Elevator Pitch: Eric Rignot
- May the Fourth be with you
- Will the plastics industry be the next target of the merchants of doubt?
- Why Some Blogging Goals Are Bad
- How Wolves Change Rivers
- Lunar Lander
- ... wait, what? balance Biodiversity Business Capitalism Climate Communication Computers and Internet consciousness Core thought crowdsourcing Culture Drama Economics Education Energy Environment Fantasy GCD: Global climate disruption Health History Just for laughs Ludditis memetics News and politics People Phlyarology Poetry Science Strategy
- My Tweets
Tag Archives: security
‘Pwned‘, in case you’re not aware, is a ‘leetspeak’ slang term derived from the verb ‘own’, as meaning to appropriate or to conquer to gain ownership. The term implies domination or humiliation of a rival, and is used primarily in … Continue reading
From the video above, Bill McKibben, commenting on the fact that half of the North polar ice cap is ‘missing’ as a direct result of our fossoil addiction: We have taken one of the Earth’s great physical features — and … Continue reading
[update 09Feb2014] Kudos to howsecureismypassword.net — I’ve just revisited their site, to discover that their home page now bears the disclaimer (and useful advice): This site could be stealing your password… it’s not, but it easily could be. Be careful … Continue reading
Bill Mahler makes a lot of good (and highly amusing!) points in this clip. But one thing that he (understandably) gets wrong is assuming that ‘BP’ still stands for ‘British Petroleum’; it doesn’t. BP is now ‘just’ ‘BP’ – it’s a … Continue reading
I find it incredible how few things that really matter are even mentioned once in the tediously repetitive mass media ‘news’ reporting. Here’s one such item — about Jeju Island — reported on by Naom Chomsky, emeritus professor of linguistics … Continue reading
Today is Earth Overshoot Day. As of now, humanity is in ecological overdraft for the year, according to Global Footprint Network. In approximately nine months, we have already demanded a level of ecological services equivalent to what the planet can … Continue reading
Shamelessly copy-pasted from an email I’ve just received: Last May, inspired by 10:10, David Cameron and Chris Huhne pledged to cut central government carbon emissions by 10% in twelve months. The results were announced today: a 100,000 tonne decrease in … Continue reading
BEGIN transcript of the words of Marcus Brigstocke from the above (these aren’t my words — I wish they were!): Apparently, global warming is a liberal conspiracy. Erm, you know, because of all the stuff that we have to gain … Continue reading
Courtesy of Grist footage by Stephen W Thomson words by Bill McKibben From Eradicating Ecocide by Polly Higgins page 17: “An international conference [about pollution] was held in 1911 and American reformers joined their British counterparts. Information, reports and scientific … Continue reading