The dark side of the moon

This short wibblette is especially for Sue of Dreamwalker’s Sanctuary, who wondered recently “What is on the dark side of the Moon?”.

“There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it’s all dark.” — Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon

The picture on the right should be familiar to most people (although I sometimes wonder if Antipodeans — folks hailing from New Zealand or Australia — see it the same way up as we do in the northern hemisphere!); it’s the near side of the Moon.

One reason why it’s so familiar is that the Moon is tidally locked to the Earth; it always presents the same face towards us wherever it is in its orbit.

In this picture, the moon is full, and the ‘dark’ side is the side that faces away from us, the side we never see. But when the moon is ‘new’, the side towards us is the ‘dark side’, and the other side is in full sunlight….

This, on the left, is a picture of the far side of the Moon. It was first seen by human eyes in 1968 by the crew of Apollo 8: Borman, Lovell and Anders. The far side has been extensively mapped by various satellite missions dating back to 1959.

The two sides look very different. One theory that might explain this is revealed in the short video below.

Enjoy!

About pendantry

Phlyarologist (part-time) and pendant. Campaigner for action against anthropogenic global warming (AGW) and injustice in all its forms. Humanist, atheist, notoftenpist. Wannabe poet, writer and astronaut.
This entry was posted in Education, History, People, Science and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The dark side of the moon

1. turning20web says:

That’s informative post.. Loved it..!!
    I m night lover… Moon and star gazer..
    Knowing more about the moon..
    Thanks for sharing πŸ™

Liked by 2 people

2. Eric Alagan says:

Hot molten interior of the moon > this for now remains a theory, I believe.
    Cheers!

Liked by 2 people

• pendantry says:

A lot of stuff we ‘know’ is theoretical until we get more information… do you have reason to believe that the moon’s interior is not molten? (Or… perhaps it was, but isn’t now, that’s another possibility.)

• Eric Alagan says:

I agree – much of the rationality ascribed to the “unknowns” remains hypothesis.

And yes, I do have my own theory about the moon’s interior. I derived this from the earth’s interior – which is also falsely claimed to have a molten core. Perhaps this is not the place or time as I am writing a book which touches on these matters – a book that I hope to publish one day.

Also that theory about how a smaller moon “chased” our moon and “merged. Nice theory. How do these experts lay such a claim? What is the basis?

Liked by 1 person

• pendantry says:

I think the ‘basis of the claim’ is simply an attempt to explain the observed fact that the Moon’s far side is so much thicker than the near side — assuming, of course, the ‘molten core’ theory is itself correct.

• Eric Alagan says:

Hello Colin,

If these experts have evidence that there are other moons “chasing” other planetary bodies – even now – I will be more inclined to agree with their “chase and merge” theory, as I call it.

After all, there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of planets out there within our optical reach. We have the technology to measure these shifts in planetary positions, using triangularised reference points.

Please let me know if you have come across any such reports/evidence which they are using as their basis – I have not come across any. Failing this, these experts are nothing more than fiction writers and story tellers.

Cheers!
            Eric

Liked by 1 person

• pendantry says:

I don’t know of any of the evidence which you seek, Eric. I think it’s just supposition; a theory, that’s all.

Liked by 1 person

3. Very interesting! Many thanks!

Liked by 2 people

• pendantry says:

Isn’t it just? I was amazed when I happened upon this video clip as a result of Sue’s wondering. I knew that the moon was tidally locked, but I had no idea what the far side of the moon looked like, nor anything about this theory of how that came about.

4. No debate here! I really enjoyed. I love different theories and watch how they are transformed.

Liked by 2 people

5. The bizarre moon πŸ™‚ awesome video!! πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ‘

Liked by 2 people

6. Posted a comment but don’t see it πŸ‘»πŸ‘»πŸ™€

Liked by 2 people

7. Kally says:

Great article! Thanks for sharing!

I'd love to hear what your views are!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w